State Command Sergeant Major,
Massachusetts Army National Guard
Command Sgt. Maj. David Costa
Command Sgt. Maj. David Costa was appointed as the 8th State Command Sergeant Major of Massachusetts on November 1, 2007. Costa has held various leadership positions throughout his career from cavalry scout to command sergeant major.
As the state command sergeant major, CSM Costa serves as the adjutant general’s personal advisor for all enlisted-related issues, particularly those affecting training and quality of life. He travels throughout the commonwealth observing training and talking to Soldiers, Airmen and their families.
During his 38-year career, he has served in every enlisted leadership position from cavalry scout in Vietnam to his current position as the state command sergeant major of Massachusetts. CSM Costa has also served as the command sergeant major for the 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, Camp Edwards, Mass., and as acting command sergeant major of Task Force Enforcer, Iraq. His most recent assignment was as the command sergeant major of the 51st Troop Command, Reading, Mass.
His civilian education includes a Master’s Degree in Organizational Management from Endicott College, Beverly, Mass.; a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Management from Salve Regina College, Newport, R.I.; and an Associate’s of Science Degree in Journalism from Bristol County Community College, Fall River, Mass.
CSM Costa’s military education includes Advanced Noncommissioned Officer’s Course, First Sergeant’s Course, Master Fitness Trainer Course, Battle Staff Noncommissioned Officer’s Course, and the United States Army Sergeants Major Academy.
CSM Costa is a member of the Disabled American Veterans, the 1st Cavalry Division Association and the Massachusetts Enlisted Association.
- Master's in Education and Organizational Management, Endicott College, 2001, Beverly, Massachusetts.
- B.S. Management, Salve Regina College, 1978, Newport, Rhode Island.
- A.S. Journalism, Bristol County Community College, 1974, Fall River, Massachusetts.
- First Sergeant Course, (1997), Resident, USASMA, Fort Bliss, Texas.
- Command Sergeant Major Course, Resident, (1993), USASMA, Fort Bliss, TX.
- Sergeants Majors Academy, Resident, CL 41 (1993), USASMA, Fort Bliss, TX.
- USA Battle Staff NCO Course, Resident, (1992), USASMA, Fort Bliss, Texas.
- Operations and Intelligence Course, Resident, (1990), USASMA, Fort Bliss, TX.
- Master Fitness Trainer, (1985), ASI P5, Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana.
- Army National Guard Battle Skills Course, (1984), Camp Robinson, Arkansas.
- Advance Noncommissioned Officer Course, (1985), CCG, Massachusetts.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
- Bronze Star
- Meritorious Service Medal with 2 Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters
- Air Medal
- Army Commendation Medal with “V” Device, 1 Sliver OLC & 1Bronze OLC
- Army Achievement Medal with 1 Bronze OLC
- Army Good Conduct Medal with 1 Bronze Loop
- Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal with 2 Bronze OLC
- National Defense Service Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars
- Vietnam Service Medal with 2 bronze Service Stars
- Southwest Asia Service Medal with 2 Bronze Service Stars
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Gold Hour Glass, M Device, Numeral 2
- Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon with Numeral 4
- Army Service Ribbon
- Army Overseas Service Ribbon with Numeral 2
- Army Reserve Components Overseas Training Ribbon with Numeral 2
- Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal w/60 Device
- Kuwait Liberation Medal (SA)
- Kuwait Liberation Medal (KU)
- Massachusetts Service Medal with Gold Eagle and Gold War Service Star
- Massachusetts Desert Storm Ribbon with Gold War Service Star
- Massachusetts Defense Expeditionary Ribbon
- Massachusetts Defense Service Ribbon
- Massachusetts Emergency Service Ribbon with 2 Bronze Service Stars
- Presidential Unit Citation
- Valorous Unit Award with 1 Bronze OLC
- Meritorious Unit Commendation with 1 Bronze OLC
- Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation
- Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation
- Massachusetts Meritorious Unit Commendation
- Combat Action Badge
- Expert Badge Pistol
- Distinctive Unit Insignia
- National Guard Bureau Command Sergeant Major’s Award Certificate
- Disabled American Veterans
- 1st Cavalry Division Association
- MA Enlisted Association.
- State Command Sergeant Major (AGR) JFHQ, Massachusetts.
- CSM 51st Troop Command (AGR) MP and EN Heavy command.
- Operations Sergeant Major (AGR) 51st Troop Command.
- Operations Sergeant Major (AGR) 211th Military Police Battalion.
- Acting CSM Task Force Enforcer, Fallujah, Iraq.
- CSM (AGR) 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation, MAARNG.
- First Sergeant (AGR) 1058th TC Company, MAARNG.
- Deployments: OIF (2003), Acting Command Sergeant Major 31B50; Desert Storm 1 (1990), MP Operations Sergeant E8; Vietnam (1970), Cavalry Scout.