"To destroy, neutralize, or suppress the enemy by cannon fire and help integrate all fire support assets into combined arms operations."
Battery B, 1st Battalion, 103d Field Artillery, Rhode Island Army National Guard, is located at the North Smithfield Armory, North Smithfield, RI.
The unit is a towed howitzer firing battery and is equipped with the M-198 cannon. Soldiers in this unit are trained as cannon crew members (MOS 13B).
Battery B, 1st Battalion, 103rd Field Artillery, traces its history back to the Providence Marine Corps of Artillery, which was chartered on October, 1801, "for the purpose of improving in the use of cannon and in the tactics employed in the attack of ships and batteries."
In 1861, upon the first call for troops for the defense of the nation, the corps furnished one battery of light artillery known as First Light Battery, Rhode Island Volunteers, which was mustered in on May 2, 1861, and mustered out on August 1, 1861.
On May 1, 1875, it formed part of the First Battalion, Light Artillery, Rhode Island Militia, as Company A. Upon reorganization in 1879, the Battalion of Field Artillery was disbanded and Company B consolidated with Battery A, Light Artillery, and continued as the only field artillery battery of the state.
Practically the entire membership of Battery A entered Federal service in 1898 as Light Battery A, First Rhode Island Volunteer Artillery. Its organization in the militia was maintained by men provisionally enlisted under the name of Battery A, Light Artillery, Brigade Rhode Island Militia. The battery resumed its ranks of the militia after the Spanish-American War. On November 4, 1908, it was redesignated Light Battery A, Field Artillery, R. I. N. G.
Called into Federal service for Mexican Border duty on June 19, 1916, it was mustered in on June 24, 1916, and mustered out November 14, 1916, returning to its former National Guard status. It was expanded to reform Battery B, Rhode Island Field Artillery, National Guard, January 2, 1917, and on June 15, 1917, it formed part of the First Separate Battalion, Field Artillery.
Called into Federal service for the World War on July 25, 1917, it was drafted into the U.S. Army on August 5, 1917. Stationed at Camp Curtis Guild, Boxford, Massachusetts, it became Battery B, 103rd Field Artillery, 26th Division, A. E. F. It was demobilized at Camp Devens, Massachusetts, April 29, 1919.
Granted authority to reorganize as Battery B, Field Artillery, Rhode Island National Guard, May 28, 1921, it was extended Federal recognition June 16, 1921, and redesignated Battery B, 103rd Field Artillery, Rhode Island National Guard, November 25, 1921.