"To destroy, neutralize, or suppress the enemy by cannon fire and help integrate all fire support assets into combined arms operations."
Battery C, 1st Battalion, 103d Field Artillery, Rhode Island Army National Guard, is located at the Bristol Armory, 470 Metacom Avenue, Bristol, RI 02808.
This unit is a towed howitzer firing battery and is equipped with the M-198 cannon. Soldiers in this unit are trained as cannon crew members (MOS 13B).
Battery C, 103rd Field Artillery, was organized November 3, 1926, from members of the Bristol Platoon of Battery B, 243rd Coast Artillery and recognized as Battery C, 243rd Coast Artillery.
Battery C was called to state service 11-23 September 1934 in response to the "General Textile Workers Strike" at Saylesville.
Inducted into Federal service September 16, 1940 at Bristol under the command of Capt Albert A. Moren.
Assigned to the Harbor Defenses of Narragansett Bay and stationed at Fort Varnum, Narragansett, RI.
Changed designation to Battery C, 188th Coast Artillery Battalion in October 1944, and then Battery C, Harbor Defenses of Narragansett Bay in April, 1945.
Reorganized and redesignated as Battery C, 243rd Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion in July 1946.
Reorganized under the Combat Arms Regimental System in 1959 to become Battery C, 2nd Missile Battalion, 243rd Artillery and initiated training at the Rehoboth NIKE Site (PR-19).
Consolidated March 1963 with the 2nd battalion, 103rd Field Artillery.
In September 2007, Battery C mobilized in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, redeploying from Baghdad, Iraq In September 2008.