The Headquarters of the 56th Troop Command, Rhode Island Army National Guard, is located at the Fogarty Armory in East Greenwich, RI. This headquarters provides command and control to a diverse assortment of units assigned to the Rhode Island Army National Guard.
Reorganized and Federally recognized 28 July 1947 as Battery C, 705th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion at Pawtucket
Ordered into active Federal service 14 August 1950 at Pawtucket; released 13 July 1952 from active Federal service and reverted to state control
Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1953 as Battery C, 705th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1959 as Battery C, 1st Automatic Weapons Battalion, 243d Artillery
Converted and redesignated 1 May 1962 as Company D, 16th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces
Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1966 as Company D, 19th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces
(Location changed 1 January 1968 to Providence)
Expanded 1 September 1972 to form Company C, 5th Special Forces Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group,
1st Special Forces, and Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 6th Special Forces Battalion, 20th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces.
(Location changed 1 December 1975 to East Greenwich)
Organized 1 March 1979 as Command and Control Headquarters, Rhode Island National Guard
Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1982 as Detachment 1, Headquarters, State Area Command, Rhode Island Army National Guard (Troop Command) (Special Forces)
Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1994 as 56th Troop Command, Rhode Island National Guard